A divorce is the legal ending of a marriage. New Mexico is a “no-fault” state which means if one spouse wants a divorce and believes there is no chance of reconciliation, then the divorce may be granted without any other reason.
There is no “common-law” marriage in NM. If you have been living together but were never legally married, you cannot get a divorce.
You can ask the Court to grant you a divorce, IF:
1. You are legally married; and
2. You have been a resident of the State of New Mexico for the last 6 months straight.
A Divorce requires:
- Filing forms at the courthouse
- Giving notice to the other party
- Having a court hearing with a judge